The Five Current Objectives of the ACRD...
1.Realizing Improvements to the Farmer’s Market
To help local farmers secure, an attractive, convenient, year round venue that attracts both local customers as well as tourists
with current members of the farmers markets to gather perspectives on
improvements that need to be made.
- Consult with other farmers to identify barriers to participation at the markets.
- Include vegetable, beef, hog, lamb, poultry and dairy farmers, as well as greenhouse production farmers and shellfish growers
- Investigate novel ways to promote attendance at the markets. Search out and identify barriers to customer attendance at the market.
- Investigate the use of the internet and social media to promote farmers markets
- Draft a report detailing results of findings, and make recommendations concerning opportunities for improvements to the Farmers Market Organizations within the ACRD , including results of research on avenues of funding to assist with these improvements
2. Identify Marketing Opportunities Through Farm Gate Sales
- Identify current farm gate sales operators including both small and large scale producers of a variety of products.
- Revise and update local farm directory.
- Promote ways to make urban small scale market gardens more feasible.
- Investigate barriers to farm gate sales and needs for further promotion of those sales
- Identify opportunities for Community Supported Agriculture
- Draft a report
3. Develop local marketing opportunities in the Alberni Valley, the West Coast and Vancouver Island.
The team will work to help local farmers improve profitability by developing strong local marketing relationships with retail outlets, restaurants and wholesalers.
- Consult with retail outlets and restaurants to help bring awareness to these outlets of local products available.Investigate ways to coordinate communication between farmers and retail outlets and restaurants to help streamline the reliable delivery of product.
- Identify non-traditional farm and agro-forest production opportunities
- Draft a report detailing results of findings.
4. Include shellfish growers in the local agricultural initiatives.
To provide support for shellfish growers to market their products within the ACRD and throughout Vancouver Island.
- Provide summary of extensive existing documentation.
- Identify and consult with potential markets to help streamline the reliable delivery of product.
- Draft a report
5. Secure grant opportunities for the local agricultural sector to aid in the implementation of Agricultural Plan initiatives.
The team will seek out funding opportunities which provide financial support to farmers, shellfish producers and the ACRD on the whole.
- Research and identify grant opportunities and funding
- Begin to assimilate the data required for identified grants and secure grants where time and resources allow
- Prepare a report detailing results of findings